If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Sprinkled with pollen

This morning Eric and I were watching a Red-backed Jumping Spider (Phidippus johnsoni) when it started tracking something above it.  Then all of a sudden, it jumped and caught something!

I could see yellow, and here's what I saw when I zoomed in:



The spider caught a small bee!


Here's one more photo of the spider taking away its prey (presumably to a safe spot for eating):


I wondered what the spider thought about the pollen.  We couldn't stay to watch, but it would have been interesting to see if the spider ate the pollen-covered legs or left them behind.


P.S.  I first wrote about Red-backed Jumping Spiders in a post called "Zip line" on 30 January 2013.

No comments: