If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Taking a breath

I haven't shared a sound file in a while...but I ended up with a few recordings of whale spouts when we were on the boat trip on 9 October 2016.  So here you go[You might need to turn up the volume of your speakers.]





Sadly, I didn't keep track of which species of whales these are, but they're either Blue Whales or Humpback Whales.


3 comments:

Dan Gurney said...

Wonderful recordings. You get to see whale spouts a lot more often that you get to hear (and smell) them.

I am curious. What device do you use to record sounds?

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Dan!

I've been using a small portable digital audio recorder -- I think it's a Sony PCM-M10. I chose this one after reading some of Bernie Krause's books about recording soundscapes. It's easy to use and produces great sound files -- at least for my purposes of sharing what local landscapes and seascapes sound like!

(One hint -- if anyone is thinking about using a device like this in the Bodega Head area, I'd recommend using a wind screen.)

Betsy Livingstone said...

What do they smell like?