If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, January 17, 2016

In pursuit

We spent a rainy day at home doing chores today, but Eric looked out during a break and noticed this bird in the backyard:


It was a wonderful view of an immature Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus).  [Note the yellow eyes and overall brown coloration giving away its age.]

The hawk didn't stay for long it seemed in active pursuit of the neighborhood songbirds. 

1 comment:

Alice Chan said...

Thank you for posting this photo!I always have a mixed reaction when I see the Sharpies in our garden. They are magnificent birds and deserve to survive, yet I find myself hoping that all our resident songbirds will survive, too. It doesn't work that way, of course. I do love seeing the predator birds up close in our garden.