If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Let's spend the night together

We pulled into the driveway after work, and I noticed a small, pale butterfly perched up high on a flower:


I took a few quick pictures, and then we went inside.  I did a few chores, and then I went outside again and the butterfly was in the same position.  Here's a view in slightly different light:


Without my books, it's harder to identify things.  I searched on the Internet, and I'm guessing this is a Common Checkered-Skipper (Pyrgus communis), but let me know if you think it's something different.

While scanning pictures and information about Common Checkered-Skippers, I ran across this description from butterfliesandmoths.org: "Adults roost exposed on a tall plant beginning in late afternoon." 

This meant that the butterfly might spend the night in that location.  So I went out again after dark, and it was still there!

I liked this head-on view:


Perched on a flower seems like a nice way to spend the night!

No comments: