If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, June 13, 2015

At the high-tide line


Seaside Heliotrope (Heliotropium curassavicum), photographed near Dillon Beach in early June 2015.

Here's a view of the entire plant, spreading across the sand near the high-tide line:


I really like this plant there's something about it's blue-green leaves, and the contrasting flowers out at the tips of the branches.

Some of my older pictures from Bodega Bay in 2007 highlight the flowers and their purplish throats:



I think I also like this plant because it reminds me of another species associated with cobble/gravel beaches Seaside Mertensia (or Oysterleaf), Mertensia maritima.  Although Seaside Mertensia is not found in California (I've seen it in New England and on Grand Manan), it's in the same family, and it shares the wonderful blue-green leaves, fun clusters of tubular flowers, and an association with interesting habitats.

No comments: