If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Adrift


I ran out of time tonight, but I'll leave you with a couple of mystery photos to ponder.  I'll post more photos and information about them tomorrow night.

We noticed these blue-gray patches on a few Sea Palms (Postelsia palmaeformis) that had drifted and then washed up on Salmon Creek Beach on 15 May 2015.

Can you guess what the patches are?

Here's another clue well, at least it's a close-up that reveals a little bit more:


Tune in tomorrow for the answer!
 

3 comments:

Matt Robart said...

Lepas cyprids?

Jackie Sones said...

Score one for Matt Robart!

I'll explain more tonight, but Matt guessed correctly -- these are very dense patches of pelagic barnacle cyprids (the settling stage). Lepas is the genus.

Matt Robart said...

Sweet, those 1000s of hours on a scope have finally paid off!