If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The Magician


I managed two distant shots of a Merlin (Falco columbarius) along the Bird Walk Coastal Access Trail today, 10 February 2015.

Friends from Cape Cod call this species "The Magician," and even though I haven't lived there for 10 years now, it's the first thing I hear in my head when I see a Merlin.


Merlins are rare in the Bodega Bay area.  I would love a few more Magician sightings every now and then.
  

2 comments:

woodworth said...

Nice shots! Surprised to learn the merlin is unusual in Bodega bay -- females regularly hunt similar coastal sites in winter in Ireland. Thanks for all your reminders of Bodega Bay! Best, Paddy

Jackie Sones said...

Hi, Paddy! So nice to "hear" your voice, and to think about Merlins hunting along the Irish coast. I wonder if they capture similar types of prey in Ireland and Bodega Bay?