If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Saturday, June 7, 2014

A bite to eat

Just a few quick photos of a bird that caught my attention in Occidental today:


I heard some soft begging calls, and when I looked up to locate the source, I saw this Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota) landing at a nest.

In the picture above, note the orange or rust-colored rump.  Below, look for the pale forehead and the dark, cinnamon- or chestnut-colored throat and side of the face.



When the adult left the nest, the reason for its visit was clear:


There were at least two young swallows visible near the opening to the nest.  The adult was likely bringing food to those large, gaping mouths.

The nestlings withdrew, but then I noticed movement to the right:

An older nestling was visible in a second nest adjacent to the first one.

We weren't the only ones looking for a bite to eat in Occidental today!
 

No comments: