If you're interested in using any of these photographs in any way, please contact me. Send an e-mail to naturalhistoryphotos(at)gmail.com. Thanks!

Monday, January 14, 2013

A gift

Here's one of those mystery close-ups:


Do you have a guess?  Do you need another clue?  (The next photo gives it away.)

  
This little octopus was at the bottom of a narrow surge channel in the low intertidal zone on 12 January 2013.

Its camouflage made me shake my head in amazement, at how well it matched both the color and the texture of its surroundings.  Compare the octopus with the nearby algae (pink coralline crust on the right and dark brown whorled and shaggy Neorhodomela on the left) and the sand mixed with bits of white rock and shell.




While I was taking pictures of the octopus, a friend stopped by.  


Or perhaps not a friend?  I wouldn't be surprised if the octopus would like to eat this candy-striped shrimp (on the upper right)...but I'm guessing it (the octopus) was reluctant to move while I was there.

It always feels like a gift to see an octopus.


P.S.  If you missed it, there's a slightly different octopus story on 10 December 2012.
 

No comments: